The OPHIR was a 6,814 gross ton ship belonging to the Orient Line.
Built in 1891, her dimensions were - length 141,73m x beam 16,29m, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. Built by Napier & Son, Glasgow in 1891, she sailed between London, Suez, Colombo (for coal bunkers), Melbourne and Sydney.
She made her last voyage on this service in 1913 and in Jan.1915 was commissioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser. In 1918 she was purchased by the Admiralty and converted to a hospital ship, 1919 laid up in the River Clyde with other surplus ships, and scrapped in 1922.